**Offer FLAC format in addition to (or instead of) WAV**
FLAC files are the same quality as WAV, but are much smaller and can include tags and album art.
Hello everybody. Today we introduced AIFF as a new lossless format that you can select during purchase. We’re hoping that this will address some of the functionality you’ve been asking for (metadata and album art in a lossless file). This forum will stay open so people can continue to vote for FLAC support and we would love to hear about your experiences using our AIFF downloads. For more information on why we started with AIFF, see this post: http://news.beatport.com/blog/2011/09/09/introducing-aiff-format/.
golem, you're absolutely right!
Pioneer added FLAC support so now it is the time for Beatport too ;)
FLAC please! Just voted!
There are the also Votes for FLAC in "Beatport Pro for Mac" and "Beatport Pro for PC" at least 170 votes total !!
Please take that in consideration.
For me AIFF is not a alternative for FLAC-Support. Don't want to convert my collection.
I vote for FLAC.
FLAC support please :)
It would be nice also if tunes could be previewed from their whole length (like in Juno).
Because of these two shortcomings I have switched to using Juno Downloads. But Beatport UI is more straightforward so if you repair them I would start to use it again :)
FLAC Support Please! :) we need it!
The FLAC topic is one of the main reasons I still don't by much music on Beatport. More specifically broken down to these two concerns:
- Beatport does not understand file formats to the level they should to sell music online. To argue AIFF is a better option than WAV is false. Read up on both formats (which are based on IFF and RIFF respectively) and you will find they are identical (except endianness, which means byte order) and have the same capabilities (yes, you can embed metadata in a WAV!). FLAC of course supports metadata and is a lossless compression. For Beatport to not understand the gains of bandwidth and storage cost reduction is crazy. And hey, if people want WAV and AIFF - cool! Transcode it on the fly! Either via a server side temporary storage location, or a browser plugin that can do it after the FLAC downloads (still saves bandwidth and storage issue!)
- Beatports charges extra for a lossless format. This just doesnt jive with me. Bandcamp charges the same price for all formats (and also transcodes on the fly to accomplish that!). I know unfortunately a lot of online shops charge extra for lossless or high-resolution, but I feel fundamentally I should be able to purchase a lossless copy for the same price everyone else is paying for MP3. This is why Bandcamp gets all my money.
Audio quality as same as WAV/AIFF and with much smaller file size, customers can download music faster, and you can save bandwidth cost too. Please add flac option.
Signed up to buy some tracks.
realized FLAC wasn't an option.
Bought it elsewhere as FLAC.
Another vote for flac!
still no FLAC format offering? flac is older than beatport and you're still not considering
offering this as a lossless format? ...
Considering how many other feature requests were implemented with far fewer votes, I'm baffled why this feature request is still languishing "under review". At the very least it should be "planned" by now.
Vendor neutral formats should be supported and encouraged to the benefit of both seller and buyer.
Please please please. While AIFFs work peachy in iTunes without any conversion or metadata issues, I've had massive problems with them in other music programs (ranging from not playing entirely to not importing any tags), to the point where I convert my new purchases to FLAC anyway to use them in other programs.
Downloading wav (or aiff for that matter) is a huge inconvenience. If I can find the same track in flac in a different store I will always buy from them. Wave files significantly larger than flac so they take longer to download. Also since it takes longer to download the files will are more likely to get cut off which is a huge pain. I don't see why this hasn't been done yet since many online music stores support this already, not to mention the savings in bandwidth (we're talking like 40-50% for all lossless purchases). I would like to see some justification on why this request which has been open for quite a while has been neglected.
FLAC support, please!
I stopped using Beatport because of this, and only make purchases here for tracks that I can not find anywhere else. I am not a fan of AIFF but I am glad that is at least an option now. If you add FLAC as an option I will start making the majority of my purchases on Beatport again.
Beatport, consider this:
- FLAC is a free codec in fullest sense.
- It would be a relatively small investment on your end to encode on-the-fly to FLAC as you do with AIFF.
- It would make lots of people happy to have this option.
The results outweigh the cost, right?
Are you saying you haven't supported FLAC YET?! This was posted 3 years ago, are you kidding me? Beatport has some music I have never seen before and you don't offer FLAC? Great... that's just great.. how can you alienate current and new customers by offering something they didn't even ask for? AIFF? I know what it is, but that's not a format I choose to use... I can convert it indeed but you know what I don't want to have to convert files if I can get it in FLAC the only time I would even consider converting is physical media (CDs)
c'mon... let's get real here...
Beatport set the standard for quality!
FLAC support is necessary!