How can we improve Beatport Music Store?

**Offer FLAC format in addition to (or instead of) WAV**

FLAC files are the same quality as WAV, but are much smaller and can include tags and album art.

701 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
br41nbr41n shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Open for Discussion & Votes  ·  BeatportMarcBeatportMarc responded  · 

Hello everybody. Today we introduced AIFF as a new lossless format that you can select during purchase. We’re hoping that this will address some of the functionality you’ve been asking for (metadata and album art in a lossless file). This forum will stay open so people can continue to vote for FLAC support and we would love to hear about your experiences using our AIFF downloads. For more information on why we started with AIFF, see this post: http://news.beatport.com/blog/2011/09/09/introducing-aiff-format/.

104 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tup3xTup3x commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't really understand why they even use AIFF. Sure, embedded metadata over WAV is a bonus but FLAC is superior in every possible way. Everyone can easily convert FLAC to any format they wish but since FLAC is compressed lossless format Beatport would save bandwidth quite a bit. Also downloads would be faster. It's painful to see how much behind Beatport is to, say, 7Digital. You have to pay massive premium yet no FLAC support which should be standard by now (also it's impossible to redownload tracks which doesn't really make any sense to me - after all, usually you would never have to do that again).

• AfricanAmericanUnityProsperityAfricanAmericanUnityProsperity commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I trust your judgement Beatport,you and the artist know which formats are the highest qualities. Still,you should offer flac for the basic audiophiles,and keep aiff an d.wav for us critical audiophile. There is a difference in sound quality between aiff,.wav,and .flac Subtle difference at time,but a difference. Here are the links from credible audiophiles.

http://av2day.com/2014/09/flac-aiff-and-wav-files-sound-different/

http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/wav-vs-flac-vs-aiff?reply=63232625822156640#63232625822156640

• golemgolem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once again I need to copy Beatport shopping cart to Juno Downloads shopping cart. So much unneccessary work. Please add FLAC support (and full length preview) ASAP.

• JockeTFJockeTF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would much prefer FLAC to any of the formats you are currently offering.

• murphymvmurphymv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely past time to offer FLAC downloads! And charge same price as mp3's please!

• skorpyoskorpyo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes ! I agree with Golem and Sitner! With the latest release of Pioneer DJ, which introduce CDJ-2000NXS2, it will be better for DJ's to purchase music with FLAC format, because of a saving of the storage !! Please, can you introduce it ? ;)

• MrOrangeutanMrOrangeutan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are the also Votes for FLAC in "Beatport Pro for Mac" and "Beatport Pro for PC" at least 170 votes total !!
    Please take that in consideration.

For me AIFF is not a alternative for FLAC-Support. Don't want to convert my collection.

• golemgolem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FLAC support please :)

It would be nice also if tunes could be previewed from their whole length (like in Juno).

Because of these two shortcomings I have switched to using Juno Downloads. But Beatport UI is more straightforward so if you repair them I would start to use it again :)

• jnftechjnftech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The FLAC topic is one of the main reasons I still don't by much music on Beatport. More specifically broken down to these two concerns:

- Beatport does not understand file formats to the level they should to sell music online. To argue AIFF is a better option than WAV is false. Read up on both formats (which are based on IFF and RIFF respectively) and you will find they are identical (except endianness, which means byte order) and have the same capabilities (yes, you can embed metadata in a WAV!). FLAC of course supports metadata and is a lossless compression. For Beatport to not understand the gains of bandwidth and storage cost reduction is crazy. And hey, if people want WAV and AIFF - cool! Transcode it on the fly! Either via a server side temporary storage location, or a browser plugin that can do it after the FLAC downloads (still saves bandwidth and storage issue!)

- Beatports charges extra for a lossless format. This just doesnt jive with me. Bandcamp charges the same price for all formats (and also transcodes on the fly to accomplish that!). I know unfortunately a lot of online shops charge extra for lossless or high-resolution, but I feel fundamentally I should be able to purchase a lossless copy for the same price everyone else is paying for MP3. This is why Bandcamp gets all my money.

• RGKH1RGKH1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Audio quality as same as WAV/AIFF and with much smaller file size, customers can download music faster, and you can save bandwidth cost too. Please add flac option.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base