How can we improve Beatport Pro, LLC?

Updates to Genres on Beatport

It would be nice to get all the top 40 pop tracks out of the progressive house genre.

4,302 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
depaul4evadepaul4eva shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
danielsommadanielsomma shared a merged idea: Separate Hard Techno and Hardcore genres  ·   · 
sibbholdsibbhold shared a merged idea: More accurate genres. (Genre vote system?)  ·   · 
ekman77ekman77 shared a merged idea: Add  ·   · 
elicarlos10elicarlos10 shared a merged idea: Gender separation effective  ·   · 
SkrollerSkroller shared a merged idea: Add "psybreaks" as a subgenre of both breaks and psytrance.  ·   · 
kljungbergkljungberg shared a merged idea: Club House genre  ·   · 
Stacy BurketStacy Burket shared a merged idea: Better genre categorization  ·   · 
EightForty ProEightForty Pro shared a merged idea: Needs to set up a Moombahton genre  ·   · 

801 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • DJTEKNICDJTEKNIC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to get all the electro tracks out of the minimal genre, half in the top 100 should not be there

• coldcoff33coldcoff33 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Separate big-room progressive house (electro) from melodic progressive house. IE separate Alesso and Hardwell from Shingo Nakamura and Luigi Luisini.

• Moritz1Moritz1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only sub-genre for Tech-house is Acid and Acid (two times). Please add more sub-genres like Deep, Melodic, Dub and Uplifting like is done for Techno

• JewanJewan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please separate Indie Dance from Nu Disco, and allow multiple genre tags on tracks.

Nothing against Nu Disco, I like it too, but when I'm looking for specifically Indie Dance sounds I have to wade through mountains of Nu Disco. I know the line between the genres is blurry, multiple genre tags would fix that. It probably doesn't help that Indie Dance seems dead by BeatPort standards, there's no weekly "10 must hear tracks" lists anymore and releases are at an admittedly low volume. Still, don't neglect the underground. :)

• ModablackModablack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Head over to Digitally Imported and check out their Genres and Sub-Genres.
    Beat port should at least have what they have and as many as they do.

• jakubovicjakubovic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

EDM, Pop is not progressive house, we all know what progressive house is. Please fix it, I'm thinking to stop producing progressive house.

• danielsommadanielsomma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I shared my thoughts about the Hard Techno / Hardcore on a different feedback, but I guess since it's got redirected to this, and I'm stubborn, I wanna comment it here aswell.

Hardcore and Hard Techno needs seriously different sections on the store.

They're different. They got different scenes (does Gammer make the same music of, let's say, Klark Kennt?) - they even SOUND different - have different tempos (Hard Techno is about 130 to 150 BPM meanwhile Hardcore starts from about 170 BPM) and most of all, annoy both the artists and labels of the 2 scenes because they can't find the records of the music they want.

• outflowoutflow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As even more Hardcore is being added to Beatport I agree this has to happen. It's a nightmare.

• ViperStarViperStar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely this needs to happen. Both hardcore and hard techno are completely different genres at a different BPM as well. Makes it a nightmare to look for hardcore tracks when they are constantly buried by an unrelated genre. Please look into this!

• greggclark777greggclark777 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disco is not Nu Disco.....what did you do with it? It WAS the 3rd most popular House category. Interesting that the site now looks more like Traxsource.

• shoegazershoegazer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I think tracks need to be more carefully placed. I hear way too many big cheesy house tunes lumped into Techno or Prog House. The Electronica section also seems to end up being a catch-all for just about anything. It feels like the majority of the tracks in that genre were just thrown in there hastily.

Also - I think Beatport would benefit from a Footwork / Juke / Bassline section.

• matthias125matthias125 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for adding a big room section to clear up the lists, with a sub section for big room prog, electro etc, it would greatly clear up the top ten list from overtly poppy mainstream sounds, into there own category. I feel that a lot of top ten list don't really reflect that genre. Yet i understand that genre is really subjective to everybody's own opinion. Key note Edm is an umbrella term for all the genres that fall under it. there is no separation between Edm and prog house, prog house is just a genre of electronic dance music.

• sibbholdsibbhold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dubtechno needs an update. only 25% of those tracks are related to that style. Thanks

• josephjwilkjosephjwilk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would appreciate the addition of an all-encompassing "global bass" genre to include a lot of the tracks from around the world that incorporate cumbia, baile funk, kuduro, etc. elements into modern dance music.

• CircaJGCircaJG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The matter of fact is that Progressive House is a very broad genre imo. It bugs me too. You can have very chill Progressive House that focuses on Progression, like artist Shingo Nakamura, with a low energy level, and then you can have energetic club anthems from artists like Hardwell, that are all about the 'drop' after a minute in, sometimes topped off with cheesy pop vocals.

Beatport could EASILY get very messy and frustrating if it adds a ton of sub-genres. Some I agree with, like Trap should be separate from Hip-Hop as they are different BPM. Otherwise, I honestly do not mind separating 'Club Anthem' Progressive House from Progressive House on my own accord by ear. Or whatever one would want to call it. Some Tech House and Deep House are mislabeled, I feel. I've also heard 'Trance' tracks that were 128 and I felt were more Progressive House, or Progressive House tracks that I felt were more Electro. But music genres nowadays very can be very black and white, and gray.
    Adding too many sub-genres, however, that are already either too similar on the spectrum, or too obscure can easily dilute a person's music library and even a site like Beatport.

Back in the day everyone called dance music 'techno'. They were wrong. 90% of it (or EDM as they call it) is actually Progressive House now. Hahaha! And with that alone you can recommend a ton of different sub-genres to break it down even further.

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of adding more genres. It's just something to be extra careful about. Because we could all be here for ages adding/recommending more and more. Otherwise, I don't mind labeling something Drumstep rather than Drum & Bass or Dubstep on my own after a listen, you know?

Just my two cents.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 40 41

Feedback and Knowledge Base